Monday, July 15, 2019

Why I'm Writing A Blog About Personal Data Protection

The subhead states the mission of the blog. I want to make key methods for protecting user data privacy and identify comprehensible to the majority of internet users who have little or no technical training. I have two major qualifications for this task. First, I'm a retired professor specializing in digital marketing. I'm used to explaining things. Second, I'm a mostly self-taught user. In the olden days--when I was in school--there was no such thing as digital marketing. I've had a few training courses and worked with lots of good, helpful technical people. But mostly I've ferreted out the skills and knowledge for myself, and I'd like to share it.

My friends and family are all internet users. Some are very skilled and some are not. Some have
considerable technical training; most do not. Uniformly, however, they do not seem to take sufficient measures to protect themselves from malicious internet actors. That's true now, and it's becoming even more true as our homes, cars and our very lives become more connected.

My greatest advantages are that I have the time and interest to identify current issues and to seek solutions. I try not to recommend anything that I have not used successfully myself, so it does take a lot of time. I have long been concerned about issues related to data privacy on the web. The chapter in my internet marketing textbook is necessarily oriented to business issues. This blog offers an outlet for personal issues concerning data privacy.

I'm going to try to post two or three times a week. Please follow me by email to receive those posts. I hope you'll also share relevant posts with your own social media following on Facebook, Twitter or LinkedIn. You might want to start with the second post on identity theft. I made this presentation at a local library back in the spring. I hope to present it at other locations in the fall. At that time I will make a few updates, but it contains an overview of the basics.

I hope you will find the presentation and the posts that follow helpful. I encourage comments, all of which will be monitored before being posted.

Thank you for your interest in this critical subject!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Why I'm Writing A Blog About Personal Data Protection

The subhead states the mission of the blog. I want to make key methods for protecting user data privacy and identify comprehensible to the m...